There are a lot of nutrients and supplements that can support heart health, and if you ask different people, each person will have their favorite. In this graphic, we tried to narrow it down to 12 key nutrients that may support the health of that muscle that works so hard to keep you alive every day. Also see some of our heart healthy supplements and our Circulatory System Pack.
12 Key Nutrients for Heart Health
- L-arginine—this amino acid converts to nitric oxide in the body, which helps blood vessels open wider. It also supports heart energy, blood pressure levels, and circulation to the extremities.
- Omega-3—found in fish oils and in some nuts and seeds, these essential fatty acids can help lower the risk of heart disease
- Co-Q10—supports heart health and blood pressure and it may improve endurance
- Resveratrol—found primarily in red grapes and wine, resveratrol helps protect the hear and makes blood more slippery
- Hawthorn—these common berries contain flavonoids that support blood pressure already in the normal range and offer other benefits
- Guggulipid—the name sounds like a fat, but it’s actually a plant extract that supports cholesterol and triglyceride levels already in the normal range
- Magnesium—this essential mineral promotes heart health and helps support blood pressure and cholesterol levels already in the normal range
- Green Tea—The Chinese have used this powerful antioxidant for thousands of years. Green tea supports healthful blood pressure levels and may offer preventive benefits.
- Garlic—supports healthy cholesterol levels and may help improve blood viscosity
- Red Yeast Rice—naturally supports cholesterol levels already in the normal range
- Niacin—(vitamin B3) may help lower cardiovascular risks and supports already-normal cholesterol levels
- Vitamin B6—along with vitamin B12 and folate, this vitamin supports heart and red blood cell health
Sources: Monte, Tom. The Complete Guide to Natural Healing, 1997. www.WebMD.com www.prevention.com/health